Old September 22nd 16, 11:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_5_]

Default Dittel radio squelch

On Wed, 21 Sep 2016 23:51:07 -0700, Sig_ZA wrote:

Since I installed my Flarm Red Box I also get a lot of interference. I
adjusted the squelch pot a bit. You should be able to Google a manual. I
tried various ferrite chockes, but they didn't help.

I've used a very cheap 12v-5v converter (a fleaBay plastic cigar lighter
5v source) to power a variety of PDAs without upsetting either an ATR 500
or my current Dittel KRT2 radio.

However, I did remove the switch-mode electronics from the plastic shell
and installed it in a small metal box with ferrites on all the leads to
and from it. These small switch-mode voltage converters do tend to
generate RF hash, so need to be installed in metal or metallised plastic
enclosures. Besides, doing this and using good connectors is much more
reliable than using a Maplins/Radio Shack (RIP) cigar lighter socket and
either holding the converter in with wing tape or simply hoping it won't
leap out some day.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK