Old April 9th 20, 10:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_6_]

Default O2, Question for medics.

On Thu, 09 Apr 2020 13:57:46 -0700, son_of_flubber wrote:

On the other hand, pulse oximeter ARE designed to work indoors sitting
quietly in a chair or resting in bed.

What about units such as those sold by https://www.welluehealth.com/
like their Sleep-U with the electronics on a wrist-band with the sensor
clipping on a finger at the end of a flying lead or the Contec CMS50F,
where the entire unit is on your wrist.

Sure, the Sleep-U is probably unsuitable, though I like its physical
setup, which is unlikely to get in the way in the air, while the Contec
unit advertises itself as suitable for sports use, though not while
exercising, but that probably isn't a problem for us.

I'm curious about the medical-grade devices because I bought one of the
El-cheapo ($25) Anapulse units 4 years ago before a trip to Scotland in
search of wave, which never materialised. Had me doubts about it from the
start because its a bulky *******, but seemed work OK when I bought it.

I put new batteries in recently to see if it still worked. Turns out that
it detects my pulse, but seems to have entirely lost its ability to
measure O2 percentage - nothing on the display works apart from the
flashing pulse...pulse... bar graph. No O2 percentage or pulse rate are
shown. IOW its now a piece of junk.

--
Martin | martin at
Gregorie | gregorie dot org