Old February 17th 09, 02:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
SGSflyer

Default Need datalogger help

On Feb 15, 6:30*pm, hretting wrote:
Hello all ,
A good friend, who is going on 89 and still soaring with the eagles,
needs some help on a GPS he is thinking of buying. He flies locally
only in S. Fla. and his datalogger has seen its last day and he want
to replace it with
1. BendixKing AV80R found at MarvGolden.com or,
2. Garmin eTrex Vista HCx Color as listed on a Amazon (the one in
soaring mag.).
He wants to be able to insert either manually or with a PC airports
not shown on Sectionals and be able to download his flights to look at
on a PC. He does not like the PDA idea and of course has set a
budget.
Look at these and reply if it can be done , plus how. He likes the
screen style of these and other GPSs. I myself am on the first rung of
the ladder of computer knowledge standing next to him, so keep it
easy.
Thanks,

I would also like to add that I had some problems with my Garmin Etrex
Vista HC but it isn't really Garmin's fault. Specifically, the
interface for downloading and loading is done via USB port and I
needed a serial cable interface since I do use a PDA. Also, I found
the Garmin difficult to use at times. Again, I am sure that if I kept
at it, I would learn to operate it much better.

One other thing, mine goes through batteries fast!!

Robert