Old April 8th 04, 04:47 AM
Aaron Coolidge

Greg Esres wrote:
: Technical question regarding gear extension mechanisms:

: Our flight school's Seneca had a nosewheel collapse today during
: rollout after a landing. The instructor, pilot, and witnesses agree
: that all of the airplanes 5 landings were good; none hard and
: certainly no nosewheel landings. The lights were all green.

If you look at the UK's AAIB (Air Accident Investigation Branch) they have
innumerable reports on nose-gear collapse on Seneca airplanes. The general
conclusion is just as you postulate later: the overcenter link didn't.
It seems this is a weak point of the Seneca landing gears. The usual
reason the AAIB comes up with for the gear collapse is "mis-rigged".

You might want to peruse some of their accident reports, they're all
on the web, though I can't recall the address.
--
Aaron Coolidge (N9376J)