Old December 12th 03, 08:12 AM
Jeff

I would give that plane back to who ever he got it from...

Yossarian wrote:

How did you go through all your training without ever stopping at a
controlled airport?

Let's hear about that engine failure.

"A Lieberman" wrote in message
On my 200th hour, I had my best feel good landing. Been interesting to
look back on my log book and see how much I have learned / experienced
in the past 2+ years / 200 hours. Summary as shown below

09/29/2001 First flight!
06/30/2002 First Solo
09/29/2002 First Duel Cross Country
10/14/2002 First Solo Cross Country
01/26/2003 Passed Check Ride
01/27/2003 First passenger taken
02/02/2003 Checkout ride in my Beech Sundowner
02/24/2003 Night landing, no landing light
02/23/2003 First passenger taken on a cross country trip
03/09/2003 First night cross country solo
04/11/2003 First full stop at a controlled airport
04/18/2003 Caught VFR on top, diverted to another airport
04/19/2003 2nd Diversion due to strong headwinds for fuel
05/18/2003 Vacuum pump failure during night flight
07/19/2003 Engine failure - declared inflight emergency to ATC
09/22/2003 Test flight for engine break in
11/12/2003 Electrical fire (no flames, just burning wires and smoke)
12/11/2003 Runway closure, landed on taxiway

Today's landing reflected the quality training I have received at MBO.
I was returning from a lunch with a friend of mine at MCB (McComb MS).
There was a NOTAM for runway closure at MBO (Madison MS) that was to
expire 21Z. I arrived back at 20:30Z, and JAN (Jackson MS) approach
told me the NOTAM was still in effect. I said no problem, I will go the
practice area and fly for a little bit and wait for the runway to open.
At 21:30Z, I reported to approach that I wanted to return to MBO.
Approach did not have any information on the NOTAM, so I said I would
report back to him. I over flew the airport, saw the X's on the runway,
called into MBO and asked how much longer. The runway was being
repainted. They didn't know, but landing and take offs were being done
on the taxiway, so I report back to Jackson and requested to return to
the practice area. I flew for another 1/2 hour and then returned back
to MBO. Runway was still closed, so I decided OK, I will make the
attempt to land on the taxiway. I had first and foremost, "if it ain't
right, go around", so I was ready to fire wall it just about the entire
approach. Taxiways look like toothpicks on approach! Wind sock was
pointed at a 45 degree angle to the runway, but the winds were not
strong, maybe 5 knots, so I knew crosswind component would be minimal.
I trimmed the plane on downwind, and slowed to my approach speed on
downwind, so all I had to do was really focus on my ground track. My
tracking was real good, holding it all the way to the ground. Mains
touched, and I wouldn't doubt if the nose wheel landed right on the taxi
line. This was by far one of the most feel good landings I ever had.
The biggest thing about this, is that due to the narrowness of the
taxiway, I did't have the edges to really use for reference, since my
wings blocked my view, so I used the seat of my pants, and used power to
control my descent down the ground. This was the first time I could
really feel me flying by the seat of my pants.

Needless to say, everytime I fly, I feel like it is my first flight!
Thanks to all who take the time to share their expertise on these
newsgroups to newbies like me!

Allen