Old September 8th 15, 10:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
son_of_flubber

Default How do we inspire pilots to truly take up cross country soaring ?

On Tuesday, September 8, 2015 at 2:32:07 PM UTC-4, kirk.stant wrote:
The reason they can get the numbers (aside from a much more social club environment, I agree) is that they are a lot closer to the racing venue.

And winch launching in UK lets large numbers of fledglings test their wings.

We had one 13 year old visiting UK pilot take his first aerotow (ever) while visiting relatives in Vermont. He had 150+ winch launches in his log book @ $5 a pop. 30+ kids in his youth program.

By contrast...We have 5-6 kids working on our line crew where they get one aerotow/lesson/glider_rental for each day that they work as line crew (paid for by a separate non-profit).