Old April 24th 20, 12:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_6_]

Default 1960's Disney soaring movie

On Fri, 24 Apr 2020 02:12:14 -0700, befut8 wrote:

Yes it is Do you know if quality of DVD is better than the one of
YouTube ?

Seems likely, at least right now, because I've heard that YouTube is
using reduced bandwidth during the COVID lock-down to avoid network
congestion, and of course this reduces image sharpness. In any case this
film looks as if it was made for TV, back in the day when the NTSC
standard was a thing, with only 525 scan lines, which may mean that the
master copy's resolution was quite low. Would it have been shot on video
tape or film?

I watched it last night, found it was unwatchable in full-screen mode on
my laptop (1600 x 900 screen), so watched it as the small image. Nice
movie. All I could fault was the rapid weather switches during the Gold
flight and the rather unlikely auto-tow behind the old-timer's jalopy:
the rope looked a bit short!

Bit of a navigational overshoot though - Google Earth says he went 30
miles too far - and, from driving 395 to Lee Vining from Bishop I seem to
remember some fairly fairly unlandable country along the way.

--
Martin | martin at
Gregorie | gregorie dot org