Old January 30th 17, 06:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
krasw

Default What Is Wrong With OLC?

On Monday, 30 January 2017 02:36:14 UTC+2, jfitch wrote:

Do you think being 200 km from home at 6 o'clock with no retrieve crew compares to being there with a full crew in chase?

A motorglider flown responsibly has only two advantages over a pure glider, both conveniences and neither a performance advantage: 1) No need to wait for your turn for the tow plane, and 2) no need to enlist a chase crew for flights with the possibility of a landout. Against these is the very real and substantial performance handicap of not being able to vary wing loading as much or at all.

Sorry to have to hijack the thread to rehash the tired old arguments yet again. Hire (or marry and spawn) a chase crew or buy a motorglider and stop whining. I am happy to have OLC lump those two together, separate from those leaving home with a pure glider, naked, if you like.

I do not have crew ready, I just call airfield and hope for some fellow pilot to retrieve me as everyone else does here. Our country's gliding history tells that no glider has ever been left to outlanding field, so odds are in my favour.

Flying glider with engine means that you can skip all the hassle and pain included in outlanding, crew chasing or not. That makes it childs play to push for extra 100 km at evening. Everyone knows and understands this. 100 extra points for OLC for every flight.