Old September 10th 19, 11:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley

Default L-23 Loose Horizontal Stabilizer

On Tuesday, September 10, 2019 at 1:10:45 PM UTC-6, Chris Snyder wrote:
On Tuesday, September 10, 2019 at 2:30:54 PM UTC-4, Bob Kuykendall wrote:
On Tuesday, September 10, 2019 at 10:11:32 AM UTC-7, Chris Snyder wrote:
We just noticed some play on our club L-23. It was detected in the stick while on tow with a forward CG. Does anyone have experience with a horizontal stab being loose on an L-23? The elevator auto-hookups have large pins, but it seems like there's no way to really tighten anything...

You should probably take any looseness in the elevator drive or horizontal stabilizer attachment quite seriously.

Can you describe the play more precisely? Is the play in the elevator actuation, or in the horizontal stab attachment?

--Bob K.

Word from Blanik America is the MM provides the tolerance for how much movement is acceptable, so we're going to measure that tonight. The play is in the stab attachment. Apparently there are a few sources that can cause this.

Our former L-23 developed play in the horizontal that exceeded the limits. The yoke and pins had to be replaced. The yoke was ordered and arrived without new pins, so they had to be ordered separately. Be sure to order both together if that's the source of the play. Not sure about today, but IIRC it took 4-5 months to get the yoke. The pins, not so long.

Frank Whiteley