Old May 5th 06, 03:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Default IFR use of handheld GPS

On Thu, 04 May 2006 13:41:13 -0700, Sam Spade
wrote:

Newps wrote:

Sam Spade wrote:

The "rule" is that direct routes initiated by ATC are limited to the
service volume of VOR (or rarely, NDBs) and the controller can assure
that MIAs will not be violated.

When the pilot makes the request, though, let the buyer beware.

It is irrelavant who makes the request, the rules are the same.

That's sure what is says on paper. Still, let the "buyer beware" when
he makes the request.

Why?

I regularly file, 3BS direct LDM (94 miles), Direct MTW(55 miles),
Direct OSH (39 miles). Coming home I file the reverse but still direct
Each is in a different sector. 3BS (Cleveland Center) is an airport,
LMD(Minneapolis Center) is an NDB, MTW (Green Bay?) is a VOR, and OSH
is both an airport and VOR (Chicago)

Altitudes vary between 5,000 and 8,000 although I have been sent
higher on occasion.

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com