Old January 5th 17, 05:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

Default First TSO-C199 "TABS" device

On Wednesday, January 4, 2017 at 9:12:19 AM UTC-8, jfitch wrote:
On Wednesday, January 4, 2017 at 6:28:26 AM UTC-8, Renny wrote:
On Tuesday, January 3, 2017 at 6:56:54 PM UTC-7, jfitch wrote:
On Tuesday, January 3, 2017 at 12:56:16 PM UTC-8, Sarah wrote:
http://www.trig-avionics.com/new-tn7...at-flyer-live/

This should be available Q1 2017 - it's already popping up on aircraftSpruce & the like, at a sub- $400 price. Quite interesting for those of us with Trig transponders.

In the US, all airspace is "outside of designated ADS-B out airspace" for gliders. Or motorgliders I presume.

What are the consequences of having a Trig 21 vs 22, in both the TABS regulations and pure functionality? I understand that a Trig 21 may not meet TABS regulations, if there ever comes to be some. But will it actually function, if wired to the Trig TN72 source?

I had inquired directly with Trig on the potential use of the TT21 and the TN72 and this was their response in a message back to me on Dec 7th...

"Thank you for your interest in our TN72 GPS receiver.

The TN72 is compatible with your TT21 transponder and is an ideal choice for your glider.
TABS exists to allow exempt aircraft like yours to participate in ADS-B..
Your TT21 transponder exceeds the technical requirements of TABS and so does not require upgrading.

The TN72 will be shipping in early 2017 and will be available through all Trig dealers."

Renny, thanks. That makes uncommon sense for the rule makers. What happens on a Flarm display that sees both a Flarm and an ADS-B return from a glider? Is Flarm capable of disambiguating the result?

PowerFLARM knows to de-duplicate those targets... if you have properly set up the PowerFLARM to use the ICAO address of your glider, that way the FLARM and ADS-B Out signals will have the same ICAO aircraft address and a receiving PowerFLARM device knows its the same aircraft. That's already used today to suppress Mode-S PCAS alerts for a target glider with Mode-S and PowerFLARM. And that's why PowerFLARM cannot suppress PCAS alerts as well for targets that have Mode C transponders (Mode C does not transmit an ICAO address).