Old August 9th 09, 04:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tuno

Default ASW 27 vs. Ventus 2b

ER:

I currently own an ASG-29 (which is identical to the -27 when in 15M
configuration), and I previously owned a Ventus 2C, which (when in 15M
configuration) is identical to the Ventus 2B. The V2B has a slightly
thicker cord and slightly larger wing area, which gives it an edge
over the 27 on days that require lots of thermaling. Conversely, the
27/29's higher wing loading gives it the edge on strong days when not
much turning is required.

I fly in Arizona, and if I flew on the east coast, I would have kept
my V2C.

But I don't like the Schempp-Hirth side-hinged canopy. HATED it.

Don't read too much into polars or sink rates -- the important thing
is the glider's performance across a speed range, which is why (I
think) Schleicher doesn't like to publish polars. Hard to capture on
flapped ships and complex airfoils.

But they are both fantastic ships and you couldn't go wrong with
either.

-ted/2NO