Old September 26th 03, 07:47 PM
Chad Irby

John Halliwell wrote:

In article , Chad Irby
writes
When you break a speed record, one of the requirements is that you do it
in *level flight*.

One could also argue another requirement, is that the 'aircraft'
achieving it, is self-sufficient and is capable of taking off under its
own power. Note the X-1 never held an official air speed record.

I could go with that. But the "achieveing Mach 1 in level flight" part
is still pretty solid. If we include diving to gain speed, though, the
Me-262 isn't even in the running.

Spitfires were dived to M.93 after WWII, and were better suited to
speeds in this range than most jets before the Sabre turned up.

Which goes to show: make something slick enough and drop it from high
enough, and you can go fast as hell.

cirby at cfl.rr.com

Slam on brakes accordingly.