Old February 22nd 21, 07:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected][_2_]

Default Importing unregistered ASK-21

On Monday, February 22, 2021 at 11:10:31 AM UTC-8, wrote:
On Monday, 22 February 2021 at 17:12:06 UTC, ProfJ wrote:
On Monday, 22 February 2021 at 10:10:26 UTC-7, ProfJ wrote:
OK, idle fantasies on a winter day here - if I was to buy an ASK-21 in Australia that had never been registered there (see https://www.pickles.com.au/trucks/it...der/1020118632) how painful would it be to register it in the US?

Oh yeah, can I point out it says "No CoA" in the listing?

I can't comment on Oz to USA registration issues but my immediate thought is - "has the rotary engine been sitting unused and un-preserved for a long time?" I'd want an expert pre-purchase assessment of the glider by an inspector knowledgeable about the type.

The process is spelled out on the FAA website he https://www.faa.gov/licenses_certifi...port_aircraft/ The process is pretty straightforward if you can obtain an Export CofA from Australia. I'd start by asking that question. If it can only be registered "Experimental" in the US, there are restrictions that go along with that (91.319, for example).

I would also worry about unapproved modifications if its been in the military, or any damage that has been repaired to military vs. civilian standards..