Old November 29th 03, 08:36 PM
Wayne

The 196 is great. Don't bother buying the video tape for $20.00 though,
it doesn't explain much of anything. The unit is great, I never travel
without it, by air, or by car. I have a 176C as well, it looks great but the
features of the 196 make it stay at home.

I bought mine for $869.00 plus tax at Sun-N-Fun. The cheapest place I
have seen t was at the AOPA fly-in in Frederick, MD, it was $869, tax
included. I hightly recommend the unit.

Wayne

"Sully" wrote in message
I was wondering if I could get some input from others on a few GPS's?
I have been looking at the Garmin 196 & Street Pilot III as well as
the Lowrance 500 & 1000.

The major advantage that I see with the 196 is that you can use it for
turn by turn directions in a vehicle. I have been looking at getting
a GPS for the vehicle that would do just that. From what I can tell
the price between the 196 and most others are only a couple 100 (for
vehicle).

The main draw back to buying either of the ones I have listed so far
is that it looks like the only way I can get them is to buy online
which also means I don't get to play with it first to see exactly what
features I like or don't like. I have found places that carry Garmin
and Lowrance in the area but none carry any of the aviation models.

Thanks for the help.