Old December 13th 04, 08:22 PM
Pavelow

"Martin Hotze" wrote in message
"Jay Honeck" wrote:

I've made a list of questions to ask him when he gets here, but if you
have
any questions about the Blackbird, the U-2, or any other Lockheed
Skunkworks
stuff, post 'em here and I'll ask him for ya!

is it true that a SR-71 drone was once lost over hostile territory while
flying
a spionage mission? and is it true that several years later this drone was
given
back as a present during a state visit?

(story was told at the Pima Air and Space Museum in Tucson, AZ)

#m
--
Buck Fush!

IIRC according to a biography of the Skunk Works by Ben Rich a former head
of said Plant, it is. The drone was not actually an SR-71 but small scale
version which incorporated many of the SR-71s features including its shape.
It was launched by piggy backing off an SR-71 however and crashed over
Communist East Asia (I forget where and don't have the book to hand at the
moment) and part of the skin was given to an American delegation by a
Russian delegation who thought it was the current level of Stealth
technology at the time.

HTH and if you want more info. let me know and I'll and dig the book out.

--
Richard

I know the Brit military, and take it from me that they make better friends
than enemies. The Royal Navy is well respected by our guys.

Tom Clancy
A.B.T-C

---