Old December 24th 14, 11:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy Blackburn[_3_]

Default Is Glideplan still relevant?

On Wednesday, December 24, 2014 1:59:03 PM UTC-8, Papa3 wrote:
Same response as others. I use it for contests - both as CD and as Competitor. I figure it saves me a couple of hours before I fly at every new site. Instead of having to tape together a bunch of sectionals, draw distance rings (poortly) with the calipers I had in middle school, then find all of the turnpoints.... I just load a couple of fonts and print out a perfect, current map.

It's also a nice way to brief people new to a site (contest or otherwise)..

P3

Agree. Even the large format moving-map displays are not as good for overall task area situational awareness at-a-glance. This is critical for MAT tasks and useful for AATs. It's not as helpful for ASTs, but no one calls those anymore (Yes, I'm trolling. Don't take the bait, it's Christmas!) ;-)

With the new tool for merging sectionals Lynn Alley put together GlidePlan is useful again. New XC pilots and OLC pilots should like the more cockpit-friendly size versus sectionals.

9B