Old March 4th 04, 07:25 PM
Dave S

A used plane reference book that I have indicated that the "auto-extend"
mechanism got a less than stellar pilot into trouble and he sued.

Apparently when he suffered an engine failure, he didnt 1) keep his
speed up or 2) engage the "override lock" feature (a slide pin on the
override lever). The gear came down, and the plane came down much
quicker than "planned". Of course, the gear system functioned EXACTLY as
it was designed.

With regards to the original poster in the thread, I have had a
gear-in-transit light illuminate when making yellow-arc descents in
200hp Arrows (both with and without the "auto-extend" feature). My CFI
at the time attributed it to the slipstream pulling/sucking against the
recessed (but not enclosed) main gear just enough to open/close the
switch connected to the gear unsafe light.

Dave

Roy Smith wrote:
In article bwc1c.12546$id3.4348@fed1read01,
"BTIZ" wrote:

BTW, I'm not sure about the older 180HP arrows, but most of the newer Arrows
have the auto extend mechanism disabled by either an AD or a Service
Bulletin.

Why would you want to disable it?