Old July 20th 04, 05:20 PM
Juan Jimenez

Bobby Ball wrote in
:

That's the Zoom Campbell clause. That way if they pull someone's
medical because he's a fruitcake, he can't tell them to go jump and
fly on his DL.

So if someone starts making wild claims about how people are sending
him threats and he's flying all over the world on secret missions, FAA
can ground him. THEN if he flies, it's a crime and they can escalate.
They're hoping to avoid another Charles Bishop.

There's only one word that can be used to describe this post: Clueless.

Go read ANN today. We were correct, our sources were accurate. If you have
a special issuance medical (which implies that your regular medical was
denied, suspended or revoked), you're screwed, you cannot use the driver's
license to fly. That means that this (from EAA's sportpilot.org site):

I understand this proposal includes a simplified medical certification
process. How will this work?

Another major benefit of the proposal is that a valid U.S. driver's
license or a valid third-class medical will satisfy physical eligibility
requirements for this pilot certificate. This will enable many inactive
pilots to fly again by eliminating the need for them to undergo expensive
testing in order to maintain a third-class medical. It will also reduce
the barriers to new enthusiasts who wish to become a pilot, while still
providing responsible medical oversight.

....is not going to happen, and that means that thousands of pilots who quit
flying (but are still driving) because they could not afford the expense of
the things the FAA required them to issue the third class, or because they
got sick and tired of the prolonged delays and backlogs and the incompetent
AME's who don't have a clue how to deal with special issuances, will not be
able to fly LSA's with DLs. And that sucks, because not everyone can afford
to spend thousands of dollars every year just for the privilege of putt
putting around the field in something more substantial than an ultralight.

Juan