Old July 24th 09, 12:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
bildan

Default SAFE Winch Launching and automatic gearboxes

On Jul 22, 12:48*pm, tommytoyz wrote:
Bill,
How much did the Gehrlein overhaul cost? Perhaps this could process
can be replicated several times over. My guess is that once small
scale winch launching grabs a foothold via Gehrlein winches and it
becomes more popular and more pilots get winch certified, that demand
will grow and we'll see the need for more productive multiple drum
winches. Perhaps we can then use the Gehrleins as retrieve winches at
that point.

Launch costs can be brought down so low, as to stimulate soaring in
this country. I myself am tired of paying $50 for one single aerotow -
it's nuts. Nothing will stimulate soaring more than to bring the costs
down and winch launching not only does that but makes soaring more
challenging and fun too!

I know, I'm preaching to the choir. So, choir, we need a cheap initial
solution to get things moving - to demonstrate and get people
certified - before we can realistically talk about expensive, albeit
more productive, winches.
Tom

So far, it's probably in the $4000 - $5000 range but this particular
winch was well worn out and, in it's original form, not really
usable. Winch works now but refurbishing is still underway.

1. Replaced engine with a GM rebuilt long block for about $1400. New
ignition, carburetor added another $600.

2. Rebuilt the '57 Chevy rear end with 3:55 gears for about $700 with
new wheel bearings. (Better idea: put '57 Chevy parts on e-Bay and
use proceeds to buy new winch.)

3. Sawed off old roller box and replaced it with a "Spectra friendly"
pulley/guillotine assembly for about $1000. Drawings available.

6. A Bunch of other bits like electric radiator fans.