Old May 15th 08, 10:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Rick Culbertson

Default SPOT messenger

Eric,

For my two Spot flights, both in the 300k range I've kept mine clipped
vertically in the side pouch and yes it does miss a few but it seems
to get the job done just fine so I'll stick with that for now (easy
access).

Unsolicited comments: Changing the OK, Help & 911 comments is so very
simple that one could simply tailor the verbiage for what ever
Situation and Geographical location you may want to use it for, making
it very versatile. For example; Just going for a little XC in
Colorado, Contest Racing in Parowan Utah, Uvalde TX or Backpacking in
Uganda. It only takes about 5 minutes to do each time.

For Soaring I'll only use the OK to confirm I'm safely on the ground
and it's noted this way in my message, this usually goes to my wife’s
cell too. If I need a retrieve then I follow it up with an
informative help message including my cell #s (I carry 2). Of course
in the 911 category I provide a lot more detailed information adjusted
for XC Soaring, Racing or Hiking etc.

I can see this Spot tracking being very handy for crews or even the CD
hanging around the AP with wireless service wondering how pilot # is
doing etc., I plan to use it at two US contests as well as my home AP
this summer and see how well it goes.

21

On May 15, 10:21*am, Eric Greenwell wrote:
Matt Herron Jr. wrote:
Good summary Darryl, thanks. *I agree with your search area opinions
as well. *I assume it makes more sense to have the spot attached to
the chute rather than the plane for pretty much all situations.

I'm thinking of doing this. How has it worked out for other people? Does
it work well sitting semi-vertical in a pouch on the front parachute
straps, or does it work better sitting horizontally on your shoulder?

Since it already misses an occasional message mounted in an ideal
location (horizontal on the canopy rail), I don't want it to miss any
additional messages.

--
Eric Greenwell - Washington State, USA

* Updated! "Transponders in Sailplanes"http://tinyurl.com/y739x4
* * * New Jan '08 - sections on Mode S, TPAS, ADS-B, Flarm, more

* "A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane Operation" atwww.motorglider.org