Old December 23rd 04, 04:10 PM
Jürgen Exner

Default Mandatory ELT specification (N-reg aircraft, 1400kg)

Peter wrote:
I am moving a plane from G-reg to N-reg and everybody in the avionics
business tells me I need a tri-band ELT like the Kannad 406 AP

http://www.adamsdirect.co.uk/proddet...delno=406%20AP

at about $3000. However I don't think this is true. What is the actual
minimum requirement?

That's pretty easy to find out, just check the FAR: 91.207 Emergency
Location Transmitters:
http://www.airweb.faa.gov/Regulatory...0?OpenDocument

Most flying here in the UK is over relatively inhabited land, or over
the sea, and I already carry a 121.5/406MHz EPIRB so don't need
anything too fancy - it just needs to comply. The most likely scenario
is ditching and a fixed unit will just sink.

Is your EPIRB approved as an ELT by the FAA?

jue