Old December 23rd 04, 04:45 PM
Jürgen Exner

Peter wrote:
"Jürgen Exner" wrote:

Most flying here in the UK is over relatively inhabited land, or
over the sea, and I already carry a 121.5/406MHz EPIRB so don't need
anything too fancy - it just needs to comply. The most likely
scenario is ditching and a fixed unit will just sink.

Is your EPIRB approved as an ELT by the FAA?

You mean that a *portable* unit complies with the FAA requirements??
Mine isn't auto activated - you have to pull a ring.

I don't mean anything, I am just asking. The FAR state
- "There is attached to the airplane ...": if you permanently mount the
EPIRB to the plane, then this requirement is met
- "an [...] automatic type emergency locator transmitter": Well, if you need
to pull a ring then it surely doesn't meet this requirement
- "an approved [...] type emergency locator transmitter": That's what I was
asking about. I doubt that the EBIRP is approved, but you never know...

jue