Old August 31st 06, 06:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
JJS

Default Build an RV of ???

"William Snow" wrote in message . ..
I am considering building an RV-7A. I currently own an Arrow. I would like to have an airplane that will cruise at
about 200, with a 200 Hp engine in order to keep the fuel burn numbers within reason. Is the RV the way to go or am
I missing something??
Any words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated and probably heeded.

William L. Snow, PE
CP, IA, ASEL

Go get a demo flight first, either at Van's (like I did) or from a local owner.
Join a local EAA club, preferably one that has someone in the process of building or has completed an RV.
This is a huge project.
Talk to lots of builders.
Build only if you want to build. Not because you want to fly.
This is a huge project.

I have just started the tail kit for an RV-7. I'm mean just barely scratched to surface. Here are my observations
so far.
The kit is very high quality. I have not been disappointed so far.
This is a huge project.
There is lots of help out there on the internet and at Van's but having a local builder would be much better and I do
not have that option.
This a tremendously huge project. It takes a lot of study.
Expect to pay much more for tools and other stuff that you hadn't planned for.
This is a huge project.
I read that the average builder screws up around $400 in parts that he has to re-order.
This is a huge project.
So far I'm enjoying it, but it will be several years before it flies, and that is if I decide to go on to the next
kit. I'm approaching it as a learning experience.
This is a huge project.
Am I glad I tried it. So far... yep!