Old February 25th 20, 09:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Simon France[_2_]

Default John Deere Gator TX 2WD

We have a 6-wheel diesel gator that we got new twenty something
years ago, and a 4-wheel petrol one which we picked-up second
hand a couple of years ago. Both have proven reliable, even in the
hands of glider pilots old and young.
On the 6-wheel, drive chains have been known to go slack, and
cone/belt drives have plastic components which can fail if you try to
tow heavy loads, i.e. a winch in the mud...
But for general use towing gliders and trailers around the airfield,
they've been good.

At 18:23 25 February 2020, Dan Marotta wrote:
We use a Polaris Ranger 500 and it's been great towing our

Stemme around
the airport.Â* It's also useful having 1-, 2-, and 4-wheel drive
(electrically selectable) when we get into the dirt, without the

glider,
of course.

On 2/25/2020 10:52 AM, wrote:
Does anyone own one of these? Our glider club may be looking

to replace a
golf cart and I'm wondering if this would be a more durable

solution.
Primary use would be to tow gliders around the field. Does yours

have
enough low-end torque to tow a glider at a walking pace? How

reliable has
it been?

Thanks
Tom