Old November 2nd 07, 09:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default SRA Poll

5U,

First of all, let me say that I greatly admire what you've
acomplished. Your ingeniously prepared LS1 was more or less equal
than my essentially stock Mosquito at Caesar Creek this year - who
knew that credit card VG's could easily ad ~1% to the performance of a
glider. I think that what you've done is great and others will likely
try similar things - rumor is UH has a glider in the barn undergoing
surgical procedures. I also of a Club class would be a great addition
to US Soaring - especially for juniors.

That being said, I'm not sure I follow your logic on how creating a
club class will solve the handicapping issues. Your LS1 would still
have a better handicap than my glider. I'm simply not smart enough to
make the sort of mods that you understand from ~30yrs of glider
tweaking. Is what you are suggesting that mods simply won't be
handicapped? This seems to be the general direction the Europeans
have gone in.

The far bigger issue anyways is that a number of gliders still have an
inappropriate handicap. I'm highly surprised no one has showed up in
a 1.14 Club Libelle (more or less the same as a .98 Hornet) yet. Lets
worry about the big issues first - or adopt the German list where
people have payed alot more attention.

2C

On Nov 1, 11:28 am, Sam Giltner
wrote:
I would like to thank the people who spend the time
and decide what questions to include in the SRA poll.
Lots of hard work goes into the poll. I appreciate
your efforts and dedication to soaring.
I am concerned with the questions on the poll addressing
the sports class. 7.0-7.3. All of the questions deal
with handicaps. We have three very clear methods of
measuring performance gains for gliders. Weight, wingspan
and winglets. Changes of any one of these three factors
has been proven to change the performance of a glider.
The questions on the poll now ask if we should add
'other modifications' such as turbulators, wing root
fillets etc. to this list. I ask the question how can
these 'other modifications' be measured? Who is qualified
to do the measuring? Should we leave it to the CD to
determine what 'other modifications' qualify and to
asses a different handicap? This opens the door for
handicaps to be different at each contest depending
on the CD. Unless there is a clear method of measuring
'other modifications' leave it alone. Arbitrary decisions
have no place in determining handicaps.
7.3 even goes so far as to ask if a glider with smoothed
and sealed wings should have a different handicap from
one that doesn't have smooth and sealed wings. Is that
the same as asking if a 10 year old ASW-27 should have
a different handicap than a new ASW-27 with smoother
wings?
The question that I really feel should have been on
the SRA Poll is whether we should follow the rest of
the world and create a CLUB CLASS. Both Nationals and
Regionals.
All of the handicap questions could be answered if
we would follow the majority of the world and create
a Club Class. The US International Team Committee now
requires that qualification for the Sports Class Team
must be done in a Club Class Glider. Let us take it
a step further. The US follows all of the IGC class
rules except the Club Class. Why? The US could continue
the Sports Class and have a Club Class within. Much
like we do with regionals and national contest. Separate
scoring for separate classes. It's done in every contest
in the US except for the Club Class.
I encourage you to look at 12.1 of the SRA poll 'other
issues' and call for a Club Class in the US.