Old November 11th 04, 01:54 PM

Nicholas Kliewer wrote:
: I agree that they had confused the MAP with the FAF.

: One scenario I am thinking is that he had dialed in the MAP
: into the GPS and was planning on using it for DME. Then, when
: told that he was going to be holding for half-an-hour figured
: that he would dial the FAF into the GPS to use for holding and
: use the DME from the FAF to determine the MAP.

: When he was unexpectedly cleared for the approach while turning
: inbound, he forgot that he hadn't swapped the GPS over to the FAF
: yet. That would also provide an explanation why he didn't see
: the airport pass on the GPS -- he thought that he was getting
: distance from the FAF.

Interesting scenario and is consistent with the data. I haven't found any
word that there was an actual DME onboard. If your idea is correct, it would provide
fuel for the knee-jerk "Pilot error" explanation that appears to be applied in as many
cases as possible.

-Cory

* Cory Papenfuss *