Old November 11th 04, 10:11 PM
Doug

MAPS like IUVM 1 are generally NOT in the GPS database, especially a VFR one.
The localizer itself is usually in the IFR databases, not sure about VFR databases.

Nicholas Kliewer wrote in message ...
I agree that they had confused the MAP with the FAF.

One scenario I am thinking is that he had dialed in the MAP
into the GPS and was planning on using it for DME. Then, when
told that he was going to be holding for half-an-hour figured
that he would dial the FAF into the GPS to use for holding and
use the DME from the FAF to determine the MAP.

When he was unexpectedly cleared for the approach while turning
inbound, he forgot that he hadn't swapped the GPS over to the FAF
yet. That would also provide an explanation why he didn't see
the airport pass on the GPS -- he thought that he was getting
distance from the FAF.

C Kingsbury wrote:

Saw on AvWeb that the preliminary file on the Hendricks King Air crash that
spawned much discussion here has been posted:

http://ntsb.gov/ntsb/brief.asp?ev_id...04X01760&key=1

For reference, here is the approach plate:

http://204.108.4.16/d-tpp/0411/05648L30.PDF

My take-away:

1. The FAF (BALES) was supposed to be crossed at 2600; they crossed it at
3900
2. They leveled at 2600 "in the vicinity of" the MAP; MDA there was 1340
3. 1 miles past the MAP, they descended again, at least to 1800, after which
altitude readout was lost. At this point they were 3 miles past the airport.
4. Three minutes later they reported missed and were told to climb and
maintain 4400.
5. Terrain was impacted at 2400', with the wings level.

If I read this correctly, it sounds like they (1) confused the FAF and the
MAP and (2) waited way too long to go missed. I am also interested in
hearing more about the missed instructions they received. As I read this,
they continued on the 305 inbound course all the way through. If they were
flying at 100-120kts (typical config for a king air 200?) they would have
been anywhere from 5-9nm from the airport when they reported missed. I
cannot find a terrain map so I don't know what else might be out there, but
it seems that if they had been turned right (as the published missed
specifies) they would have had plenty of obstacle clearance, but again, I
might be missing something.

The plane was equipped with a VFR GPS and no GPWS, according to the report.
Not exactly a gold-plater, it sounds like. Still, a VFR GPS will show you
when you've passed the airport.

-cwk.