Old January 12th 05, 04:28 PM
Darrel Toepfer

jls wrote:

Thanks... Also whats the torque on the valve covers?

20 in. lbs. but only with silicone gaskets, which you should be using
because the other kind don't work. If the non-silicone I use a gasket
sealer like silicone or Hylomar and tighten gingerly until leak stops. Go
too far and they will never stop leaking.

Ordered silicone, dunno whats there yet but its probably cork. Only
fixing whats messing it up, leaving whats fine alone...

We've got a seep on the sump, 2 cylinders, a leaky valve cover and the
quick drain is also leaking. Takes a real good cleaning to find just
exactly where this bit of oil was coming from...

Looks like the engine has some hours on it. I usually find leaks around the
crush washers on the rear case. I know of ONE O-300, just ONE, that isn't
a big leaker. Somebody put it together fastidiously.

Around 3500 on the airframe, one overhaul on the engine...

One bolt on each of 2 cylinders is sweating oil...

If your quick-drain valve is leaking around the threads, get a good supply
of crush washers. If around the valve itself, clean or replace. You may
be able to lap it in with some fine lapping compound, but nowadays those
quick-drains are a lot cheaper than they used to be.

Best. I love them damned old engines. They just keep right on going and
the bottom ends are wonderful. Watch out for them jugs, though.

Its not an oil burner, just a seeper... G

Thanks again...