Old October 9th 03, 01:54 AM
Duane Eisenbeiss

"JJ Sinclair" wrote in message
Just a bit of information for all the *rule-followers*, out there. Your

ships
manufacturer specifies the pitot and static sources that must be used in

order
to make the airspeed read the same as it did when the design was

certified. The
computer manufacturers tell us to use the same pitot and static that our
airspeed indicator uses. SO, we should use the same one that is specified

by
the sailplane manufacturer. This applies to type certificated ships as

well as
those licenced in the experimental category. Because, your experimental
airworthiness certificate says something like, This ship will be operated

in
accordance with its flight and maintenance manuals, and that specifies the
source of pitot and static.
:)
JJ Sinclair

Pardon me for changing the subject of this thread, but, I have to ask a
question of your above statement.
The Limitations of the Experimental Certificate on my current sailplane
(Ventus 2 Bx) does not state anything about operating in accordance with
flight/maintenance manuals. Also, I do not remember any such wording in any
of the other "Experimental" sailplanes that I have had in the last 30 years.
Do your Experimental Limitations really have such a requirement? Just
curious.

As an aside to which static ports to use, I agree that normally the ports
prescribed in the Flight Manual should be used. However, due to a very
early placement of an order, I received the first Discus to come to the U.S.
This aircraft had static ports both under the wing and in the tailboom.
Later models had only the tailboom static ports and that is what the ship
was eventually certified with. Klaus Holighaus, however, advised me to use
the under wing static ports because they "worked better for thermalling"
even though they were not as accurate. How is that for decision making;
follow the manual or follow an expert who designed the sailplane.

Duane