Old March 31st 18, 04:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Confusing SSA hand signals that should be changed

There are still places, as Jonathan has noted that still dont use radios in the tow plane let alone the gliders, I personally find that objectionable, but not to the point of refusing to fly there. We at Prescott Area soaring use a winch over a mile away and no radio comms mean no tow until we do. And its not so much the before launch signals for me as the speed changes on tow that worry me more both winch and aero tow. Being a fairly new (50 aero tows) tow pilot, I find it particularly difficult, in the rough thermally air in AZ, to interpret signals from the glider without a radio call.

CH