Old May 23rd 20, 04:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bruce

Default Flarm Antenna Extension

On Saturday, May 23, 2020 at 7:48:27 AM UTC-7, MNLou wrote:
I'm in a situation where I need to elevate my Flarm antenna above the glare shield to avoid interference directly ahead of the glider(LAK17AT) due to the carbon nose cone. I'm getting a pretty nasty blind spot there.

I've seen installations where the Flarm antenna was elevated using a "paint stir stick" that was attached to the side of the glare shield. Essentially, that put the antenna on a mast.

Two questions to the hive -

1) Has anyone seen a more elegant solution?

2) Does the Transponder antenna need to be elevated too? (That seems to get good reception in it's current location on the side of the glare shield.)

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Lou

I 3D printed a bracket that attaches by the glare shield mounting bolt. I was able to set the antenna out toward the side too. It looks good and seem to do the job. As far as the ADSB if you're happy with it's range, leave it. The ADSB signal is a lot stronger.