Old March 10th 04, 05:43 PM
Richard Lamb

David O wrote:

(Gene Z. Ragan) wrote:

David and all,

Thanks for the good input.

I have rebuilt several engines including performance racing Porsche
engines, but I know that doesn't make me an expert aviation powerplant
mechanic. I did expect it to be an adventure for sure.

Because the engine is an O-290-D, I wasn't aware that ECI had new
cyclinders for it. I will yank the sad jug and see what is going on
inside.

I expect whatever I do to be expensive, I was just trying to deterine
what to do with the 300 lbs of metal bolted to the plane right now.
Perhaps I can find a midtime 320 and let an excited 290 owner buy this
one for parts.

Gene

Gene,

ECI replaced much of their "Classic Cast" cylinder line with their new
Titan series. I'm believe that they continue to manufacture Classic
Cast cylinders for the types not replaced by the Titan series, but I'm
not certain. I agree that the O-320 route might be better for you.

David O --
http://www.AirplaneZone.com

If I'm not mistaken, the O-290 has a solid crank.
Not hollow like the O-320?

Richard