Old October 17th 03, 05:23 PM
Ron Natalie

"Casey Wilson" wrote in message ...

Did you read that out of the POH, or is it something taught to you by
your instructor because he/she found it worked better?

The latter. After ten frustrating minutes sitting at the fuel pump after
a couple of hours of dual instrument work, I was ready to get the towbar out
and drag the ^%$#(@% airplane back to the tiedown.

The book starting procedure for my (pressure carb'd lycoming) never worked
either (especially when warm). My former mechanic (who never read a book
or checklist in his life, generally one of his failings), never had a problem starting
hot or cold. So I asked him what he did, and that's what I use for everything:

1. If cold (boost on, prime, boost off).
2. Full Rich, 1/4" thorttle.
3. Crank (two blades before the mag comes on if cold).

Always worked. This is neither the book hot start or cold start procedure
(both of which call for leaving the boost pump on).