Old September 10th 06, 12:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.misc
SB

Default Class E extension

Thanks everybody for chiming in on this and Ron for e-mailing the response
as well. However, my head is still in the clouds.

By chance is there someplace where it actually says that in the FAR that the
tower "owns" the airspace? I'll assume "own" means you must contact them if
you intend to operate in the extension and they have the right per a
particular section of the FAR to deny you access. The AIM clearly states in
section 3-16 (Extension to a surface area) "Such airspace provides
controlled airspace to contain standard instrument approach procedures
without imposing a communications requirement on pilots operating under
VFR." I have not found anything in the FAR to contradict this.

Whaddya think guys? Please back up any responses with the associated FAR
section so I can hopefully put this to rest for myself and others. So far
all I have is the AIM.

Tks for your time and expertise,

Scott

"SB" wrote in message
I am still confused on this particular issue and was hoping somebody in
here could point me in the right direction. I'm sure most of you are
familiar with the class E extension from C&D airports to help facilitate
instrument approaches. Well here's the question. If I can operate in VMC
in the class E extension for a D airport, am I required to talk with tower
for that airport and can they deny me entry to that airspace? The AIM says
I have no comms requirement so long as I maintain VMC. I can't find
anything in the FAR to back this up, nor can the FSDO, and thus far the
tower is under the impression that when they are IMC, they own the E
extension as well.

A response to my e-mail as well as this newsgroup with any thoughts on
this matter would be very much appreciated.

Tks,