Old August 24th 10, 08:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ramy

Default Flamed

On Aug 21, 10:52*am, "Morgans" wrote:
"Dave Nadler" wrote

If the actual terminals of the battery aren't well
protected, you can get a short before the fuse.
Seen it happen...

Careful out there, this electricity is dangerous stuff.

See ya, Dave

Yep, I built a small wooden box with a handle and cigarette lighter outlet
on it for use with odd things. *About impossible for anything to get to the
terminals. *Plus I use the cigarette lighter outlet for charging.
--
Jim in NC

Thanks Frank for pointing this incident. Being aware of this potential
risk may save someones life. Every pilot should make sure their glider
battery is well insulated and has an inline fuse. A fuse box on the
panel is not sufficient! A similar incident consumed a whole glider
and trailer some 10 years ago due to a short while trailering the
glider. It is amazing how many things can go wrong which can kill the
pilot or destroy the glider. In 13 years of soaring I think I heard
about every possible way to kill yourself or destroy the glider, from
improper setup, obstructed controls to oxygen fire and many more. Just
about anything that can go wrong, did go wrong and killed or almost
killed someone. The more you know the more you can protect yourself.
Thanks to RAS I know more than I could ever learn otherwise.

Ramy