Old April 16th 07, 02:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Mark T. Dame

Default IFR GNS 430 with expired database

Jose wrote:
I have been told that it is illegal to fly IFR in an aircraft that has
an operating IFR rated GNS 430, whose database is out of date, =even= if
it is placarded INOP, placed in the OFF position, and the airplane, even
without the 430, is otherwise legal for IFR.

From what I was told by the DE who did my commercial checkride, you can
use an IFR approved GPS with an expired database for enroute navigation,
including filing /G, as long as the database contains all of the
waypoints you will be using on your flight. You may not use it for
approaches with an expired database.

Regardless, an expired database wouldn't prevent you from filing /A (or
/U as appropriate) and flying the airways. All that is required is that
you have the navigation equipment on board that is required to navigate
the planned route. So if you have a VOR receiver, you can file and fly
the airways regardless of the status of your GPS. Worst case is that it
would fall back to the same category as a handheld.

-m
--
## Mark T. Dame
## CP-ASEL, AGI