Old October 19th 15, 03:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kirk.stant

Default Auto-Towing - why is this not more popular?

On Wednesday, October 14, 2015 at 3:50:43 PM UTC-5, Werner Schmidt wrote:

Ah, and now, how did it work out?

Regards
Werner

So possible long term interest. 4 of us are planning on a winch training session next May; that might start something.

And yes, avgas is pretty cheap in the US - our club charges $24 for a 3000ft tow - so we are spoiled.

To fully use a winch, we would have to make some infrastructure changes - theoretically we could have up to 4000ft available launching to the North, perhaps 2700ft to the South. That, plus the economics of a modern winch, might be what it takes to get our club into winching.

So, a work in progress....

Cheers,

Kirk