Old April 4th 06, 03:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default PiK20b

Thanks Jack,
I'll let you know how I get on.
The weather today here in Norfolk [UK] is great for gliding, big Cu 4500
- 5000 agl bases, keeping my fingers crossed it stays like this for the
weekend...

Jack wrote:
Hi Phil,

The PIK has it's own characteristics, though none that need to be
feared. I'll start with takeoff. It's a taildragger and will need to be
lined up carefully before hooking the rope on. For the first 100 feet
or more, it's going where it's initially pointed, especially with the
CG hook. Begin with full -8 cruise flap, and roll the flap handle back
to +8 thermalling position as you have aileron authority. By the time
this is all the way back you're flying. Complete the tow as you
normally would. I like to tow dry at 65 to 75 knots. On your first
flight, I recommend a high tow, to 4000 AGL. Do 3 mock patterns, and
the last one that counts. Make sure to go all the way to +90 degrees on
the flaps and keep the airspeed at 60 kts. You will seem to be standing
on the rudder pedals, but that will become second nature. You are
really NOT pointed straight down. As you turn final for the last time,
you will have a better view of the airport than you ever thought
possible. Don't let the flaps spook you. They're a piece of cake. You
will find flair to be accomplished by easing off forward pressure on
the stick. I keep full flap until I actually touch down, and then wind
them off very quickly all the way to -8. Again pay attention to your
direction because once the tail comes down, it's a bit difficult to
steer with the rudder. Most of all, don't be afraid to add more flap
and forward pressure on the stick on approach. Maintaining airspeed
allows you to adjust your approach and touchdown point very accurately
with practice and a positive attitude.

Congratulations on the new ship.

Jack Womack
PIK-20B N77MA (TE)