Old April 3rd 08, 07:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviation.piloting
Ken S. Tucker

Default Unusual attitude recovery advice sought

Hi Barney - not :-) - Rubble.

On Apr 3, 9:00 am, "Barney Rubble" wrote:
That's the best advice. I once got into the start of a graveyard spiral on a
VERY turbulent day when I took my eye off the ball for a split second to
tune the radio. When i glanced back I noticed the plane was 90 degrees off
heading and the VSI was pegged downwards. It happened in less than 2
seconds, I kid you not. Instinct took over and I levelled the wings and got
the altitude back on track before the controller even noticed. Boy did I get
the cold chills. I was single pilot in heavy IMC with the rian beating on
the windshield, moderate turb PIREPS all around and minimums below. Not a
goot time to let things slide. I was back on alt and heading before the
controller even noticed.... I'm pleased I practiced UA and smooth control of
the plane.
- Barney

That's damn interesting. Consider a vortex, we see
them as tornadoes when they actually mature and
touch down to the ground.
But suppose only 1 in a hundred, actually become
mature tornadoes and the rest exist in bad weather,
inside clouds that Barney may have encountered.

There is a lot of different kinds of turbulence, that
could appear in seconds as one flys into a vortex.

I've seen plenty of photo's of little titties on the bottom
of storm clouds, (I think they are usually Nimbo Stratus,
but not always), that dissipated.

That gives me an idea for a new instrument,
something like a "stall buzzer".
If a delta attitude occurs, that is NOT a result of an
control input, then that would warn of either a
weather or structural anomally. Fortunately for
Barney it was a weather anomally.

Don't quite know how to build it yet but that's just
application of ingenuity.
Regards
Ken S. Tucker