Old May 17th 08, 11:33 PM posted to sci.military.naval,rec.aviation.military.naval
Fred J. McCall

Default New Torp Delivery System To Be Called Fish Hawk

Philip Morten wrote:

:Airyx wrote:
: On May 14, 10:30 pm, wrote:
: See:
:
: http://www.spacewar.com/reports/Rayt...d_Anti_Submari...
:
: I supposed this is intented to counter the small mast-mounted IR SAMs
: that were on some of the Russian's Kilo's awhile back.
:
: I seem to recall that the Russians found that diving and hiding
: provided better survivability then trying to shoot town the ASW
: aircraft and abandonded the program.
:
:I think this concept is being pushed because they don't want the
:twin-engined P-8 flying around at typical traditional torpedo launch
:altitudes.
:

The concept is being 'pushed' because flying down to a couple hundred
feet off the water at dead slow speeds for a torpedo launch and then
clawing your way back up to a reasonable search altitude is hard for
the P-3, wears out the airframe, and makes it harder for them to do
their job. The same is true for the P-8 in spades.

--George Bernard Shaw