Old August 24th 11, 04:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Cochrane[_2_]

Default Best PDA/PNA for FLARM display?

On Aug 24, 8:47*am, Frank Paynter wrote:
I flew with a portable PowerFLARM at the Uvalde pre-worlds, and I have
a 'brick' unit on order for delivery sometime this fall/winter. *As I
wait for delivery, I am contemplating how to integrate it into my
current instrumentation setup.

One possibility I am considering is to not use the brick's Butterfly
display at all, assuming I can get adequate display/warnings from
FLARM data displayed on one of the many PDA/PNA moving map displays
available these days.

Does anyone have experience with FLARM display on WinPilot PRO v9,
SeeYou Mobile on an Oudie or other display, ClearNav, or other? *Is
the integrated display good enough to replace the Butterfly display?

TIA,

TA

Clearnav shows surrounding traffic, but like the others I have seen
(winpilot, seeyou), the display is designed to complement, not
substitute for, the collision display.

I connected powerflarm to clearnav at Uvalde. The good news is, it
works. Clearnav shows the other gliders. But when there is a collision
alert powerflarm shows you which glider is the problem by making the
other glider larger and red. Clearnav (for now) doesn't show which
other glider is causing the interference. The CN display is also not
designed to take over the functionality of the big powerflarm button.

Of course with powerflarm in the US for a grand total of about 3 weeks
so far, it's an easy bet that the other software will all be modified
over the winter to take better advantage of it. Still, conventional
wisdom seems to be to put the PF display somewhere where you can see
it.

John Cochrane