Old August 24th 11, 04:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Remde

Default Best PDA/PNA for FLARM display?

Hi Darryl,

Good points.

I know that SeeYou Mobile does support FLARMNet. You just download the
FLARMNet data file and save it in the "Radar" directory on the PDA or PNA.

The PowerFLARM display currently does not support FLARMNet. It may in the
future.

I don't know whether or not the ClearNav supports FLARMNet.

I have registered my PowerFLARM on FLARMNet. It is pretty easy to do.
FLARM recommends using your gliders ICAO ID - which is easy to get. But you
do need to convert it to a Hex number. That is easy if you know how. The
calculator in Window can make the conversion. The PowerFLARM manual shows
where to get your ICAO ID from the FAA web site.

Paul Remde

"Darryl Ramm" wrote in message

PowerFLARM does not yet send out serial-port data on ADS-B traffic or PCAS
alerts. That is under developed by FLARM. Third party vendors will have to
add support for those Flarm enhancements.

There is a lot of detail to ask about when looking at different FLARM 3rd
party software integration. What exact feature of FLARM and PowerFLARM
(especially) does it support, e.g. does it support FLARMNET - the ability to
tie glider information to an Flarm/ICAO ID etc. (and I'm not even sure if
that will be used in the USA - I hope so).

Be very careful of any third party vendor who just says "we support Flarm"
that is a pretty useless level of detail. You have to look in detail, often
at the user manual to see exactly what is there and what works.

I am looking at SeeYou Mobile talking to a PowerFLARM in front of me at the
moment. I see the Flarm rings but no Flarm equipped gliders flying nearby...

Darryl