Old August 24th 11, 06:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

Default Best PDA/PNA for FLARM display?

On 8/24/11 6:47 AM, Frank Paynter wrote:
I flew with a portable PowerFLARM at the Uvalde pre-worlds, and I have
a 'brick' unit on order for delivery sometime this fall/winter. As I
wait for delivery, I am contemplating how to integrate it into my
current instrumentation setup.

One possibility I am considering is to not use the brick's Butterfly
display at all, assuming I can get adequate display/warnings from
FLARM data displayed on one of the many PDA/PNA moving map displays
available these days.

Does anyone have experience with FLARM display on WinPilot PRO v9,
SeeYou Mobile on an Oudie or other display, ClearNav, or other? Is
the integrated display good enough to replace the Butterfly display?

TIA,

TA

This has seen covered on r.a.s before, but you absolutely need a
PowerFLARM portable (with built in display) or the brick with external
Butterfly display. You will not be able to operate a PowerFLARM brick
say just driving a PDA or flight computer. There is no software
interface for those 3rd party systems to use control the setup and
operation of the PowerFLARM, and for safety reasons the PowerFLARM is
just not intended to be used without a primary Flarm collision avoidance
display. Put that display as high up on your panel or glare shield so it
can be glanced at quickly.

Darryl