Old March 22nd 13, 08:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.aviation.military,talk.politics.misc,alt.society.labor-unions

Default Is the 787 a failure ?

On Fri, 22 Mar 2013 08:07:19 -0600, Daryl
wrote:

On 3/22/2013 7:22 AM, Jim Wilkins wrote:
"Daryl" wrote in message
...I have never had a case break open on an AGM. Daryl

Then you haven't looked very hard.

http://nissandiesel.dyndns.org/viewt...60ab1 12d039d
"Problem: APC UPSs sometimes have a float charge voltage that is too
high and tends to cook batteries. Here's a pair of gel/AGM batteries
from a SUA1000 (not an XL) that have swollen so badly that I had to
disassemble the case and pry the batteries out of the metal cage: "

And you haven't seen a burst case either. Bulging, deformed, etc. case
but the juice is contained in the case.

DAryl

I've had them split from top to bottom on both ends - but they are a
"dry" battery. All of the liquid is absorbed in the mat - and by the
time they split they are generally baked dry anyway.