Old February 6th 05, 04:03 AM
Dan Foster

In article , Doug Carter wrote:
Aardvark wrote:
The pilot of a corporate jet that sped off a runway at Teterboro Airport
and smashed into a warehouse told investigators yesterday that the
control wheel malfunctioned, forcing him to abruptly abort takeoff.

Don't turbine aircraft POH's require sufficient runway length to stop
after an abort?

Quoted figure for highest speed achieved was 174 MPH, or about 150 knots.

For a plane that small, I'm guessing they were above V1; in which case,
bets for coming to a full stop on remaining runway is pretty much off.

I'm not sure what the Challenger V1 for that weight was, but I can't
imagine it being much higher than 125 knots or so.

Though, I'll grant, they were nearly fully loaded with passengers (but
perhaps not significant cargo if they were business execs on a 'day
trip').

I haven't heard of a V1 that high in a long time except for certain
extreme high performance jets. (SR-71, Concorde?)

So in my mind, it seems more probable that the Challenger was already
past V1 at time of abort.

Idle speculation, though, and I'd appreciate corrections from anyone
whom knows that plane.

-Dan