Old October 7th 03, 06:05 PM
John Morgan

"Jack Glendening" wrote in message
nk.net...
While asleep last night I came up with the idea of trying to soften the
buildup in the TE female hole, to allow it to be removed more easily
when applying back pressure, by filling the pitot part of the TE probe
with denatured alcohol prior to a flight - my idea is that some alsohol
will remain in the probe during flight and be forced by positive air
pressure into the buildup to help soften it (of course the pitot tubing
will be disconnected at the panel end). Anything wrong with trying
this? I am assuming that denatured alcohol would not have a damaging
effect on the tubing should it get past the buildup.

Jack,

You may be on the right track, but alcohol will evaporate too quickly to be
of much help I think. Instead, give it a short squirt of WD-40. The small
amount used could not migrate all the way to the instruments in flight, but
I would still try to blow it out beforehand.

Along with my previous suggestion re string trimmer line, you can try
bending the end of the nylon line enough so that it may catch and "spring
into" the 90 degree ports in the fitting. Couldn't hurt to try. Also a probe
fashioned from a length of soft aluminum wire (if you have such) may be
useful.

Down at the barn, I've learned to aim all air guns and air chucks away from
me before hitting the trigger. Getting shot with high velocity earwig body
parts is the consequence doing otherwise.
--
bumper - ZZ
"Dare to be different . . . circle in sink."

---