View Single Post
Old June 21st 20, 08:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
WB
external usenet poster

Default Paint for white fiberglass trailer top

On Sunday, June 21, 2020 at 2:22:56 PM UTC-5, WB wrote:
On Sunday, June 21, 2020 at 10:00:06 AM UTC-5, Senna Van den Bosch wrote:
I got an older Anschau Komet trailer that needs some care and decided to repaint the entire top side, which is white painted fiberglass. What paint would you recommend for doing this? I'd like it to be a bit glossy and waterproof, as the trailer will stay outside in summer but hangared in winter.. Thanks!

I repainted one fiberglass trailer with Benjamin Moore gloss exterior latex house paint. Sprayed it with an HVLP sprayer. Looks fine, but has a little more "orange peel" texture than I would like due to not thinning the paint enough. Should have rolled it on. Note that it will blister if you trap moisture against it (like putting a tarp over it). Otherwise, it seems to be holding up very well.

Any of a number of quality "topside" boat paints are suitable. There are single part topside paints that are designed to be rolled on (or may be sprayed on). The advantage to roll on application

Probably the best compromise of cost/quality is to sand/repair as necessary and then take it to an automotive paint shop and let them spray a polyurethane based paint. Seen that done a few times on glider trailers with excellent results.