Old October 17th 20, 12:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Rakel

Default Wheel brake effectiveness standards

On Friday, October 16, 2020 at 10:55:16 PM UTC-4, Kenn Sebesta wrote:

Does anyone have any domain specific experience they could share?

Any properly adjusted brake will work well enough to stop your glider.

I fly an LS 1-f with the brakes and spoilers on the same control. The spoilers will open fully and a little more pull on the spoiler control will actuate the brakes. I have the standard drum brakes and I can brake hard enough to cause the nose of my glider to pitch forward and rub on the ground. I do not do this very often.

My point is, there is enough brake power to stop your glider without over thinking this. Proper maintenance is the most important. You need to adjust the brakes to work as intended.