Old November 17th 09, 07:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
raulb

Default Seaplane motor-glider?

On Nov 15, 4:31*pm, "Morgans" wrote:
Anyone ever hear of a seaplane/amphibious motor-glider? *I wonder if there
is one out there that I have never heard about.

Back in the 1930s, the Crawford glider co. , of Seal Beach, CA,
offered a Crawford amphibious glider with pontoons and a Szelesky
engine. Also around 1930, Hawley Bowlus put an engine and pontoons on
one of his gliders and flew off San Diego Bay. There may be others
but those are the ones which come to mind without looking it up.

If we are talking unpowered, there were several. In about 1929, there
was the Peel Glider Boat Company of Long Island, NY. Also, the Navy
had a few prototypes during WW II, but never actually developed them.
Skliar designed the Aqua Glider in 1959, in the US but I don't know
where, Florida, I think. Then there was the pre-war German DFS
Seeadler and Jacht 71. There were many, many others

Oh, did I mention the Crawford and the Bowlus were both primary
gliders?